Using a software tester job description template is helpful when looking to hire a new member of your QA team. In this post, we detail what to include in your jobs advert and have also included a template for you to use.
A well-written description can help you to find the right specialist faster and will give candidates a better understanding of the position to be filled. To help you, we have created a Job Description template for the role of Quality Assurance Engineer or Software Tester.
When you need to add a new specialist to your team, two main search strategies can be used:
- Focus on the right candidates and filter all the others, if the technology stack and skill set you are looking for are not unique. In this case, try to specify the ‘must have’ and ‘will be a plus’ requirements thoroughly to narrow the pool of candidates.
- When you are looking for some particularly specialized skills, try to attract as many candidates with the required skills as possible, although this is not a common case in the QA world. In this situation you may want to mention only the key requirements for the post, leaving all the details for a personal discussion.
As soon as your strategy has been defined, adjust your job post accordingly by creating more high-level or more detailed description.
The first thing you should do is specify the job’s responsibilities and create an image of your ideal candidate. Write down the technical skills, competencies and personal skills you’d like them to have, and then come out with a corresponding list of job requirements.
We’ll start with the title, although you may find it easier to return to it when you have finished the rest of the sections to add the cherry on the cake of your job post.
First, try to determine the level of the specialist you are looking for (intern, junior, middle, senior, lead or manager), corresponding to responsibilities and the salary rate. You may or may not choose to mention seniority level in the job title, especially for junior to senior, but for other grades it’s recommended to state the level clearly in order to filter most over- or under-skilled candidates in advance.
The next step is to define the primary skill set of your ideal candidate. Depending on what that is, you might call for a:
- Manual Software Tester
- Automation Software Tester
- Manual + Automation Software Tester
- SDET (Software Development Engineer in Test)
As an option, you might also specify the technology stack in the title, e.g. ‘Java Automation QA’ or ‘Manual Software Tester with SQL.’
In your overview section, describe the high-level info about the project, company and the role. Imagine your ideal candidate and try to make the job post look attractive and eye-catching by adding details such as awards and any unusual benefits or specifics. The tone of the job description can be adjusted according to the mood or voice that you would like to use for getting your message across.
As mentioned before, creating the job description usually starts with composing this section. Here we state the expectations from the role, specifying the items in order of importance. Sometimes this section can serve as a document defining the employee’s duties and ensuring their accountability.
In this section, list the previous experience, education and skills you expect from your candidates to enable them to fulfill their responsibilities in an effective way. You can define optional requirements in a separate ‘Will Be a Plus’ section. Think about ways you can assess the various points at the interview, using a task or with the help of a reference.
Describe what you can offer in terms of compensation, career development, social package and any additional perks. Mention intangible factors such as a strong QA community, friendly staff or an innovative work environment if you think they will be important for your candidate.
The Software Tester Job Description Template
We are looking for a rockstar QA to join our growing team for a challenging project. You will be responsible for creating manual and automation test scripts, working in a multinational distributed team and providing activities to assure the quality of a leading product in its domain. To succeed in this role, you need to be very detail-oriented, have a solid background in web software testing and possess great communication skills.
- Conduct requirements analysis to detect issues as early as possible in the software development life cycle
- Create and execute manual test cases as well as automation test scripts to provide the maximum coverage;
- Design, develop and execute test plans according to business requirements
- Report and verify bugs as part of new features testing and regression testing
- Provide comprehensive and concise test results
- Collaborate closely with the Development and Business Analysis teams
- Consistently contribute to improvements in terms of processes and technologies
- A minimum of 3 years of experience as a Quality Assurance / Software Testing specialist
- Extensive experience in web applications testing
- Competency in working with test automation tools and frameworks (Java, Selenium)
- Experience in using test management and bug tracking tools (HP Quality Center, JIRA will be a plus)
- Expertise in software testing fundamentals and test techniques (ISTQB certificate would be a plus)
- A track record of performing testing activities through the full test life-cycle
- Proven ability to meet tight deadlines and report the risks and issues in a timely manner
- Experience of working individually as well as in a team
- Strong analytical skills
- A keen eye for detail
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- English level – Intermediate or higher
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent.
Will be a plus:
- Hands-on experience with Firebug or similar debugging tools
- Track record of working in an Agile/Scrum environment
- An understanding of continuous integration, and experience in using CI tools (e.g. Jenkins, TeamCity)
- Proficiency in SQL
- Expertise in performance, load testing
- Competitive salary
- Relocation package
- Health insurance
- Fitness and sports classes reimbursement
- Reimbursement for participation in conferences and training (approved by your manager)
- Comfortable office downtown
- Flexible schedule
- Friday lunches, coffee and sweets
- Paid vacations and sick days
- Free English classes in the office
- Regular performance evaluations, individual career plan and support in your personal development.
There is an art to producing a brilliant job description to help you find the right specialist without having to spend too much time and effort. Be creative as you adapt this template for your organizational and working needs. Equally, paying attention to your candidates’ needs and inquiries, will help you to progress on your way to happy hires.
Share as Infographic
Share these practical tips on how to write a job description with our infographic. You can download the full sized infographic here or alternatively use the embed code at the bottom of this post.
You may also use following code to embed the infographic directly on to your own website.